Faith vs Fear

Faith vs Fear

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Day of Fall

Happy first full day of Fall!
Fall is my favorite season of the year. I know some people really struggle with the changing seasons, including David. He usually has a bad bout of the blues about this time of year, and that can put a damper on it, but I enjoy it for several reasons:

1. Utah has beautiful falls with warm, sunny days and cool nights.

2. The red color of the scrub oak and gold of the aspens make the mountains come alive with color. We went to our favorite fishing spot on Sunday, and while the leaves haven't fully changed, there was a hint of things to come.


Lost Creek Reservoir, near Ogden, Utah


3. The start of the new school year, even though I'm not going this year, makes me feel energetic and eager to work on projects around the house. I'm not terribly domestic, so I try to take advantage of the mood while it lasts.

4. It's my birthday season, and I like taking some time to ponder over the events of the past year, and make new goals. It's my version of New Year's resolutions.

Some of my goals are to write more regularly here, and work on family history stories and research. My brother helpfully reminded me of that today.

I am also looking forward to working on household projects that have been long neglected. I plan on painting several rooms that desperately need it.

David and I talked this morning about how our summer went. He cheerfully recalled several activities and achievements he's had during the summer months. This summer hasn't been without its challenges, but he's been much more active and healthy than he has been in at least two years. That's a good feeling.

I came home this evening, and found him in the depths of deep despair. It's hard to know how to help him when he gets in these moods. I've found that about all I can do is sit with him quietly, and pray for the darkness to lift. Rob Thomas's song, "Her Diamonds" describes how I feel when he's so down. As hard as it is to watch him suffer, I know I have to keep going and not get sucked into his mood.


">

8 comments:

  1. AH!! The change of the seasons has historically brought changing cycles in our home too. My spouse tries hard to communicate to me when things are beginning to shift so neither of us is blindsided... like we used to be.
    Wishing you and yours gentle seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes! I think we're going to need them. We're just starting to figure this illness out, but it's still better than before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! Nice to hear that you've got a lot of projects on the horizon that interest you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky that you live in a place with real seasons. Enjoy the fall for me here in 105 degree sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for more beautiful photos of Utah!! Good luck with all your projects--this seems to be a great season for those:)
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful pictures! I love fall too. It was so nice to read your positive post, although I'm sure your life must be challenging. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you like the pix! I had a lot of fun playing around with my new digital camera, while David fished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS- I like your sidebar of things to remember... :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I'm so glad you dropped by. I'm always happy to hear what you have to say.