Faith vs Fear

Faith vs Fear

Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter Thoughts



I love the verses in Isaiah that describe Jesus Christ's sacrifice for us:
"Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:4–5, KJV)
And the joyous words of the angel to Mary Magdalene: "Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him." (Mark 16:6, KJV)


It seems appropriate that Easter is celebrated in the spring: a time of renewal and new life springing forth.
A reminder of Him who gave His life so that we can live with Him again.
Of increasing faith which works together with hope to make life feel bright again after enduring days of darkness. Indeed, we find hope in Jesus Christ.
A friend of mine at the magazines wrote an essay on the subject recently, and I wanted to share this poem of his that describes hope and faith so well:

Walking with Two Sisters

By Larry Hiller
Faith walks before me,
Holding up her lamp
As I try not to stumble in the ink-dark hours before the dawn.
Her light illuminates
One step and then another.
Beside me, Hope, arm linked with mine, encourages and steadies.
Sometimes in the tedium,
Distracted by the pain,
My mind begins to wander, then my feet.
I hesitate.
Unsure, I look to Hope.
Her hand takes mine.
The touch reminds me of another hand held out to me,
One pierced and scarred
Yet oh so tender
Lifting me and blessing me when I had fallen and despaired.
Remembering, I move ahead
Buoyed up by Hope, who sees the end with perfect clarity.

Update on David: His moods are finally stabilizing! The down days are not as extreme; most days he is in happy spirits. We are grateful!

2 comments:

  1. Isaish 53 is a great chapter--love it! Good to hear that your husband is doing better!
    Have a question--was your sculpture of the dancing children & mom taken in SLC? It looks like one I remember seeing when my family was going through there on our way back from Colorado; I like it!
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that chapter, too. The sculpture of the dancing children is on the plaza where I work. True confession: I took it last year (the trees aren't that far along yet), but it seemed appropriate to the season and message. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I'm so glad you dropped by. I'm always happy to hear what you have to say.