Faith vs Fear

Faith vs Fear

Friday, June 4, 2010

Memorial Day Trip, 2010

David heard about some ancient Indian ruins in southeast Utah and was anxious to go see them this spring. The trip down was rough because he has such a hard time leaving his comfort zone. Once we found a campsite in a great central location, set it up, and took a nap he was fine.


One of the fun things about this trip was coming across other people who were also exploring the area and who were excited to tell us about what they had found. One acquaintance was a geologist who had worked in the area 30 years ago as a student helping to map out the ruins. He told us that there are ruins in almost all of the nearby canyons and that a good many are not on maps. He was right; and we had a lot of fun finding some of them:















We also went to Moon House ruins. The site is spectacular:

















Sidenote: The hike to the ruins is not for the faint-of-heart, however. To get to it you have to climb down one side of the canyon and then climb back up the other side to get to the ruins. It was well worth seeing, but to be honest, on the way back I kept saying to myself, "I'm not doing this again!"





We were awestruck by the sites and the people who built them, and we wondered what their lives were like. Some of the rooms were incredibly small; probably grain storage. And some of the rooms were larger and could comfortably accommodate several people. I have to admit, though, that I felt increasingly more grateful for modern conveniences of running water, electricity, soft beds, and modern medicine as the weekend went on.

David forgot to pack his lithium, so we were extra diligent to make sure that he stayed calm and relaxed. I did bring his zyprexa, and had him take some the night before we came home so that he would stay calm for the drive back. He came through it really very well, and the post-vacation blues have been manageable.

Another problem were little stinging gnats that were out in full force; they must have just hatched. I came home grateful for the pleasures of hot epson salt baths, antihistamines, and anti-itch medicine. I have also been marveling at how quickly the skin will repair itself after so many bites. It will only be a few more days before I'm willing to expose others to the sight of my legs. A note: Do NOT hike in shorts and shortsleeves!

And this weekend I am looking forward to planting a flower garden and preparing my bedroom for painting. I had hoped to plant a vegetable garden, but realistically I won't be able to with all the painting I plan on doing.

I truly am grateful to be living in this day and age, and marvel at those who lived so long ago.





Have I mentioned how much I love desert flowers in the spring?

3 comments:

  1. How very cool! Yes, I too am thankful to live with our modern conveniences, but it is nice-at times-to get away from it all and return to the basics :)
    Loved the photos!
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aimee. I, too, like to get away and rough camp with just the basics. This time, though, the itching really got to me, and I was more than happy to return to modern comforts. Happily the itching has stopped, and I feel human again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are feeling like yourself again! Itching can be terrible, I know from personal experience!
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I'm so glad you dropped by. I'm always happy to hear what you have to say.